Comments and observations while journeying through life, from a Christian perspepctive

"But our citizenship is in heaven..." (Philippians 3:20)

Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Ready Answer

I get asked a bunch of questions throughout the day. As a pediatric gastroenterologist, questions from patients and their parents are typically related to digestive concerns:

“Why is my son constipated?”

“My daughter's been having stomachaches for 5 years. Can she have cancer?”

“Where did I get this intestinal infection from?”

Providing answers to such questions is well within my level of expertise, and I can usually respond readily and with confidence.

Sometimes the questions have nothing to do with digestion, but are asked anyways just because I'm a doctor:

“Why do my left knee and hip hurt after running cross-country?”

“My son fainted during soccer practice yesterday, and tests from the emergency room came back negative. What do you think happened?”

“What do you think about acupuncture for my daughter's migraine?”

In such cases, I may need to summon memories from my general medical training, general pediatrics experience, personal encounters while training for marathons, and even stuff that I read on the Internet. I am usually not afraid to give an answer, and occasionally I would include “I don't know” as a response. I find that years of experience as a medical professional has only caused me to acknowledge more readily that I do not know everything, and I am rarely embarrassed by such deficiency in knowledge. Recognition of such deficiencies also would spur me to research for answers, resulting in much personal enrichment and satisfaction.

We all face questions regardless of our niche in society or station in life. It matters little whether we are teachers, receptionists, accountants, employers, employees, parents or gardeners, as each of us have been entrusted with unique insight, experience and knowledge that others find valuable. As Christians, we are seen as “God experts”, and thus should expect questions and challenges from others, whether they be borne of sincerity, cynicism or malice:

“If God is all-powerful and all-loving, why is there evil in the world?”

“Why can't I go to heaven by believing in another religion?”

“Where in the Bible does it say that abortion is wrong?”

“Why does Jesus have to die for my sins?”

“How do you know that the Bible is the word of God?”

“Doesn't science prove that we don't need God?”

Just as I am not ashamed to say “I don't know” when confronted with a difficult medical question, but be ready to seek the answer myself, I also should not be afraid to admit when a satisfactory answer to one of the above questions is not readily available. I should also be eager and bold to seek the answer myself, for God is the fountainhead of all knowledge.

But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.” (1 Peter 3:15-16)

No comments:

Post a Comment