Comments and observations while journeying through life, from a Christian perspepctive

"But our citizenship is in heaven..." (Philippians 3:20)

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Moving with Purpose

I stepped into the shallow end of the gym's 25 meter lap pool with trepidation, as I looked down the other lanes and saw two swimmers gracefully cutting back and forth across the water. Their forms were beautiful whether they were doing the freestyle crawl, the breaststroke or the backstroke, and as I admired them I also hoped that they would pay no attention to me as I readied myself for my swim. Unlike these gym regulars, I had not swam more than a length of a neighbor's backyard swimming pool for more than 35 years, as my only swim lessons consisted of only one or two weeks during my grade school days in Taiwan. Twenty five meters – I wasn't even sure that I could stay afloat long enough to make it across the pool. After the other swimmers were clear toward the opposite end of the pool, I put my head down, kicked off the wall, and for the next minute or so found myself wildly flapping my arms, furiously kicking, scrambling for breath when not choking and gulping water, and generally making slow progress. The first 25 meter swim of my life ended with me hanging on to the edge of the pool coughing, wheezing, and with my chest heaving as if I just broke the world record in the 100-meter dash. It was not a pretty sight. Fortunately, the other swimmers at least acted as if they weren't paying attention to me. They've probably seen my kind before.

It took little time for me to realize that swimming is very different from, and a lot harder than running. Road racing, whether it be a 5K run/walk or a marathon, is the most democratic of all sports, as anyone who is able to put one foot in front of the other can participate. It doesn't matter whether you are fast, slow, have beautiful form, limp, wheeze, or have only one leg (yes, I have been beaten in a marathon by a woman with a prosthetic leg...long story); virtually anyone can join such a race and cross the finish line with arms proudly held high. You can even run dressed as a mascot, in an Elvis outfit, while juggling, or even backwards. Having good technique and form would make you faster, but it isn't entirely necessary. On the other hand, swimming is all about technique. After several sessions of titanic struggles against the liquid element, it became clear that if I am to move in the water with purpose and direction, I have to point my head a certain way, breathe a certain way, move my arms a certain way, bend my elbows at a specific angle, push and pull the water with my upper extremities in a certain direction, and kick with the proper motion. Every movement has a purpose, whether to propel me in the right direction or to reduce resistance and drag, ultimately so that I can make it to the end of the pool.

A Christian's sojourn on earth is very much like swimming. Becoming a Christian and receiving the assurance of salvation is not the end of the journey; it is only the beginning. From this point on, we are called to manifest the fruit of the spirit (Galatians 5:22-23), endure suffering and trials “...so that you may become mature and complete, not lacking anything” (James 1:4), “work out your salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12), and to “go and make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19). We don't do this in order to be saved, but our actions are evidence of our changed nature. Every moment of our lives is to have the ultimate purpose to glorifying God, and a crown of glory awaits us at the end our our journey.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. (1 Corinthians 9:24-27)

When we are distracted by self-centeredness and worldly cares, we are flapping our arms aimlessly in the water, and exhaust ourselves without making progress. May we move with purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment