Comments and observations while journeying through life, from a Christian perspepctive

"But our citizenship is in heaven..." (Philippians 3:20)

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Cat's Eyes

I never knew that I like cats until Pepper came into our family. Pepper is a lightly striped silver-gray Siamese mix who almost didn't survive his kitten-hood. Weighing in at a mere four ounces at discovery and abandoned in a friend's yard by his mother, he probably was the runt of the litter, and his survival was assured only after many hours of feedings, care and several visits to the veterinarian. Given his early challenges, it was quite gratifying to see Pepper grow and mature over the years, and my fondness for him also increased with time. Even our family dog does not seem to mind having him as a playmate.

If I have to describe Pepper with only one word, it is that he seems to be EVERYWHERE. He can be seen inside shoe boxes, on the mantle, in the closet, on the family piano (playing some sort of Arnold Schoenberg piece, I think), on my son's guitar, sleeping with the dog in my bed, climbing the ladder, and often on my pile of freshly washed, pure polyester running shirts and shorts. Cat hair in my underwear and on the toaster oven? It's all part of having Pepper in the family.

Pepper's seeming ubiquity can be downright unnerving at times. He is often the first thing I see in the bedroom when I roll out of bed, as if he'd been waiting for me. He would also casually appear in front of me as I use the restroom, take a shower, make coffee, change my clothes, or just walk down the hallway, over and over again. He kind of reminds me of how God is depicted in movies like Evan Almighty, where He would simply show up out of nowhere and say something freaky like “I knew you would be here”. I feel as if Pepper is watching my every move. Actually, as I am writing this, the cat is sniffing my toes...hope it doesn't mean that I accidentally stepped on dog poop.

Although Pepper seems to be keeping his eyes on me, I realize that he is only a cat, and whatever he sees, however private, is totally harmless. However, I would surely be a bit uncomfortable if Pepper's eyes are replaced by those of a human being or a spy camera, as they might ruin my reputation and reveal my character.

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.” (Jackson Browne)

While we often behave as if we are not being watched, the Bible indicates that God knows our every thought and every move before it even happens. The cat may be watching, but God has perfect knowledge. The cat may seem to be everywhere...God actually is.

Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,”
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.
(Psalm 139:7-12)

May we live each moment of our earthly existence realizing that God sees all, knows all, and is ever present with us. May we also thank Him daily for grace and mercy when we act as if He is not there.

No comments:

Post a Comment