Comments and observations while journeying through life, from a Christian perspepctive

"But our citizenship is in heaven..." (Philippians 3:20)

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Walking With Eyes Closed

I tend to take my sense of vision for granted unless I encounter those who suffer from severe visual impairment or blindness. I marvel at how the blind are able to carry out common tasks, read braille, play the piano, walk down the sidewalk and cross the street without assistance, even running in road races, and I occasionally wonder how it feels to not see. I would sometimes practice the exercise of closing my eyes as I walk down the street to see whether I could walk without straying off the path, akin to when one lets go of the steering wheel while driving to check the car's wheel alignment. Invariably, I would start confidently with the initial steps, but eventually my steps would become increasingly tentative, and I would open my eyes after only a few seconds for fear of tripping or crashing into a fence.

Just as I depend on my vision to walk a straight path, I also need my eyesight to maintain balance. I can easily stand balanced on one foot for over two minutes at a time; however, I usually can barely remain upright in that posture for a few seconds with my eyes closed.

Without light, my body becomes disoriented, and I stumble easily. On the other hand, when my surroundings are illuminated and my eyes are open, I walk, run, and jump confidently without fear. Although the visually impaired and the blind can run marathons, they can only do so with the aid of personal guides who direct their every step. In the same way, God's word is like a guiding light that gives me a sense of direction. It guides me to act according to His will and allows me to steer clear of potholes, traps and stumbling blocks that the devil scatters before me in my everyday decisions.

I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you (Psalm 119:11)

Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light for my path (Psalm 119:105)

May I walk this day with my eyes open as God's word chases away the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment