Comments and observations while journeying through life, from a Christian perspepctive

"But our citizenship is in heaven..." (Philippians 3:20)

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Been There, Done That

Much of what I know about medicine are rarely taught in medical school. For example, most medical students do not know that:

  • If a baby refuses to take a certain prescription liquid medication that has a nasty, pepperminty taste, there is a common over-the-counter chewable alternative that can be cut up, crushed and given with food, and that it has a nice fruit flavor.
  • A particular medication is quite expensive at most drug stores, but can be purchased at bargain prices at Costco.
  • Taking mineral oil as a laxative may result in mild embarrassment from the oil seeping into the underwear and giving the sensation of having Vaseline smeared on the rear end.
  • Glycerin suppositories and enemas can cause stomachaches, butt cramps and passage of mucus.
  • It is a good idea to blow your nose first before someone tries to stick a tube into your nostrils to pump your stomach, otherwise the sensation of snot being pushed down the throat can be pretty disgusting.
  • Some infant formulas don't taste too bad, but have a distinct aftertaste and odor that reminds one of rotten fish.

The reason that I learned the above is because I have actually sampled several of my patients' medications, given myself laxatives (including the ones that go “up” the other way), perused the pharmacy aisles and checked prices, shoved a nasogastric tube down my own throat, and drank several cans of expired formula with my nose pinched. These extra measures that I took taught me how it is like to be a patient, and likely made me a better doctor when I counsel my patients and their parents. When they get nervous about certain treatments and procedures, it is reassuring for them to know that I have already tried them myself, and that I managed to live and tell about them.

Been there, done that.

However, what I have put myself through is nothing compared to the earthly experiences of the incarnate Jesus, who not only came to die for our sins, but to also live as we live in this world. He ate, drank, hungered, thirsted, wept, got angry, suffered pain, experienced rejection, and bled. He also faced temptation in far greater measures than what we have encountered daily. Jesus knows our struggles...he's been in our shoes before. This is Jesus,

Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God
something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.

And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death –
even death on a cross!

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father."
(Philippians 2:6-11)

Been there, done that.

Thanks be to God for the personal touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment