Comments and observations while journeying through life, from a Christian perspepctive

"But our citizenship is in heaven..." (Philippians 3:20)

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Overwhelmed

My feet were dragging a bit more than usual this particular Monday morning.  Instead of relishing the start of a new week, I was already feeling exhausted, not having quite recovered from the rigors of the previous work week.  Work had been tough because one of my pediatric gastroenterology colleagues went to India for a month to visit her mother, and I had been helping to see and manage some of her patients who could not wait for her during her absence.  I ended up spending 12 hours a day at the office and coming home after 9 p.m. on numerous occasions, and I was glad to know that she was planning to return soon.  "Come on, Glenn, you've made it through 25 days...just hang tough through the end of September, then you can relax a little...", I thought to myself as I opened the office door, shoulders slumped, my third cup of coffee of the day in my hand.

I collapsed in my chair and remembered this cute little poster that used to adorn one of the classroom walls at church.  It was a poster of a forlorn looking puppy, droopy ears, chin on the ground, with the words,

"Help me to remember, Lord, that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I cannot handle together."

Yes, with God all things are possible, and that included me holding on for just one more week until my colleague's scheduled return from India.  My spirit brightened as I thanked God for the encouragement, and logged on the work computer to review what lay ahead for the day.

"Good morning, Doctor Duh."

It was my receptionist, who wore a somewhat worried expression.  No, it was too early in the morning for this....

"Did you hear about Dr. N (my colleague who went to India)?  Her mother got sick, so she's staying for another week...and you have these couple of urgent referrals but your next appointment is more than 4 weeks from today...."

Later that day, the official word was that she'd be out for another 10 days.

Um, God?  About the words on that poster with the cute puppy?  You still there?

I had since made it through several more 12-13 hour work days, and my colleague's return date remains uncertain.  Indeed, help me to remember, Lord, that nothing is going to happen to me today that You and I cannot handle together.  Help me to remember that the next day also.  And the next.

I can do all things through him who strengthens me.  (Philippians 4:13)

No comments:

Post a Comment