Comments and observations while journeying through life, from a Christian perspepctive

"But our citizenship is in heaven..." (Philippians 3:20)

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Early Retirement

I suddenly realized after eleven years on the same job as a pediatric gastroenterologist that a lot of people whom I worked with in the beginning were no longer around.  Nearly all of the original nurses, receptionists and medical assistants in my office have either retired, transferred out, been promoted elsewhere, or quit, and ten of my fellow pediatricians in the department have retired.  Two have subsequently passed away from chronic illnesses.  Even as I write, my department is preparing a farewell potluck for our most senior nurse who has been on the job for nearly 35 years.  She will soon clock out for the last time, and a new life awaits her and her husband.  She can hardly wait!

It will be but a matter of time before I also leave my job; however, it is impossible to know yet whether I will hang it up when I reach my 65th, 60th, or 55th year of my life, and whether I will remain on earth for any length of time after I retire.  What will I do after retirement?  Will I become a missionary doctor, a seasoned Sunday school teacher, a carefree globetrotting tourist, or a debilitated, grumpy old man?  Will I fulfill my semi-secret dream of becoming a writer?  Will my wife and I see grandchildren, and even great grandchildren?  Will I have enough money for my wife and I to sustain our retirement lifestyle?  What will our medical bills be like?  Is it even possible to even retire?

Interestingly, the Bible does not have a whole lot to say about retirement...at least the kind that we often dream of.  Jesus told the parable of the rich fool, who planned in his heart to live the easy life after harvesting in abundance, thinking:

'And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years.  Take life easy: eat, drink and be merry."'

"But God said to him, 'You fool!  This very night your life will be demanded from you.  Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?'  Luke 12:19-20

The prophet Elijah contemplated a different form of retirement at the nadir of his depression, when he fled for his life from the evil Jezebel, shortly after an epic, emotional victory at Mount Carmel:

"Elijah was afraid and ran for his life.  When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, while he himself went a day's journey into the desert.  He came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die.  "I have had enough, LORD," he said.  "Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors."  1 Kings 19:3-4.

Instead of granting his wishes, God told Elijah to get back to work:

The LORD said to him, "Go back the way you came, and go to the Desert of Damascus.  When you get there, anoint Hazael king over Aram.  Also anoint Jehu son of Nimshi king over Israel, and anoint Elisha son of Shaphat from Abel Meholah to succeed you as prophet.  1 Kings 19:15-16.

May we be diligent before God to the very ends of our lives, even in "retirement".

No comments:

Post a Comment