Comments and observations while journeying through life, from a Christian perspepctive

"But our citizenship is in heaven..." (Philippians 3:20)

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Morning Express

The Morning Express I sat in my car around 7 a.m., and ran the engine to defrost the windshield while waiting for my son to arrive. Seeing no activity after glancing repeatedly between my watch and the front door, I reluctantly pulled the vehicle into the street and started down the road. It was 7:05 a.m. I parked the car by the curb a couple of blocks away to call my wife about the bad news.. "Sorry, honey. Chris missed his ride, so you'll have to take him to school." My wife was livid, as I was usually the one who drove Chris to school, and this meant that he would be late for his 7:15 a.m. class start that day. I had previously discussed with Chris about his transportation needs, and determined that we would have to leave the house at 7 a.m. sharp each morning in order for him to safely make it to his class on time. I warned him that he must take every reasonable measure to be punctual, and that I would hold up my part of the bargain and have the car ready to leave on schedule. I told him that I was going to be a bus driver and not a chauffeur, and if he didn't get out the door and into the car by the scheduled "departure", he would miss the "bus", and would have to figure out another way to get to school (usually this would mean asking/begging his mother, likely with consequences). On this particular morning, Chris was clearly unable to get out on time, largely because of preparations that should have been made the night before that were put off until the last moment. It seemed like a teaching opportunity about taking his father’s warnings seriously. I wondered how things would turn out as I drove to work, being about 15 minutes ahead of schedule because I didn't take my son to school that morning. Would I return home that evening to family members who were mad at me for being merciless? Would there be shouting and screaming, or would I get the silent treatment? I felt that I did the right thing, but I suspected that it wasn't a popular decision. As I entered the house that evening, my son and I playfully saluted each other, embraced, and talked about events of the day. We didn't dwell on the "bus" incident much, as he clearly understood the consequence that was experienced. We did, however, talk about things that could be done to prevent this from ever occurring again. Just as a son thinking that his dad would always wait for him even if he is late, we often also take God's mercy for granted, and feel shocked when we are disciplined by Him. When God told Adam, but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.” (Genesis 2:17) He meant what He said. Imagine how things would turn out if Adam and Eve simply got a slap on the wrist, a stern warning or a three-hundred-year time-out after they disobeyed the command. He would be an impotent and capricious God, and not the righteous, omnipotent creator of the universe. Thankfully, he also gave the promise of restoration when we repent of our ways and seek Him: if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14) The following morning, my son was ready to leave at 7 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment